Are you Ready?
Welcome to the Pride of the West band camp survival guide. This guide will help you not only “survive” but have a blast at band camp this year. Thanks to former West band student Kayla Pearson for putting this guide together!
What is Band Camp?
Band camp is a period of intense sunlight, heat, training, and bonding.
- Marching band members work alongside each other and educated staff to
learn proper marching and playing techniques.
- Members will also begin piecing the halftime show together throughout the
span of band camp.
- Band camp typically lasts for two weeks.
ALL MEMBERS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND!!
What do I need to bring?
- Your instrument (Unless you are going to be using one owned by the school).
- Water! – Preferably in a half-gallon water jug. Normal water bottles aren’t going to cut it.
- Sunscreen (You will be in direct sunlight for hours on end. Be sure to reapply throughout the day).
- Lunch – Make sure that what you pack is healthy. NO DAIRY!!
What should I wear?
- Light & comfortable clothing
- Light colored t-shirt/tanktop (Name and instrument on front and back)
- Athletic shorts
- Avoid wearing dark colors, cotton, and jeans/denim. These could lead to heat exhaustion.
- Tennis Shoes
STUDENTS MUST ADHERE TO SCHOOL DRESS CODE
Things to Remember
- Don’t wait until band camp starts to hydrate yourself! Make sure you’re drinking
plenty of water in advance.
- Get some rest! Heat + Fatigue = Illness & Regret
- Eat healthy! As tempting as junk food is, put it down.
- Exercise daily for a few weeks before band camp!
- Early is on time, on time is late! Rehearsal starts at 8? Be there at 7:45. It gives you enough time to make sure you have everything you need and helps rehearsal move more quickly and efficiently.